About Me

My photo
I am 18 years old. I am a Freshman at Muskegon Community College. I am learning to become a Kindergarten/ First Grade Teacher. I love too be around little children, too be able to help them out, and was able too help them get to another step in life.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Math Is Here For You!

So I've been doing some thinking about good ways to help me advance my problem solving skills... But before we get into that, here's a math problem that I would like you too try:
Step 1. Write down the Month Of Your Birthday.
Step 2. Multiply it by 2.
Step 3. Add 5 to the number you got in Step 2.
Step 4. Multiply Step 3 by 50.
Step 5.  Subtract 250 from the present year. (2010)
Step 6. Add the result from Step 5 to the result from Step 4.
Step 7. Subtract the year of your birth from the result in Step 6.
Step 8. Cirlcle the last 2 digits of the result in Step 7. The cirlced number should give your age of your birthday this year.
Step 9. The uncircled part of the number from Step 8 should be the number of your birth month.
Even though, math can seem difficult, you can play around with it and make it into an easy fun situation like the one above.
When first looking at a problem you think too yourself how you think the problem should be solved. Poyla's theory is to 1) understand the problem, 2) devise a plan, 3) carry out the plan, and 4) look back at what you did.
Here are some strategies to help you with your problem solving. You could Make a Drawing, Guess and Check, Make a Table, Use a Model, and Work Backwards. It seems too help!

No comments:

Post a Comment